Sunday, 11 November 2018

>enemies can open doors

Hey, time for progress posting.

This has been a pretty fun week, though I've had less time than previous weeks due to job searching, I've made some fun additions to help in the coming levels.
The biggest win has been an addition I've wanted to add for months but was always too scared to; button [5], giving the ability to interact with objects (containers, internal doors) and npcs during battle, so now you can punch a guy, take his axe, chop down his gunner friend, take the gun and shoot at any other enemies, and it all just works.
I am a little worried about the UI getting crowded, so hopefully there's no need for more contextual buttons.

Work done this week:

- Mapping levels
- Enemy design and Combat balancing
- Some sprite art, more to do
- Residual battle data now cleaned instantly, making used slots reusable immediately, no need to leave the map to clear cache.
- Cleaner ways to generate dead NPCs, doors and containers
- Internal doors, which both player and enemy can operate during battle
- Battle object manipulation; player can loot a dead enemy's weapon, search containers and open doors during battle
- Ability to turn to face whichever direction you want during your turn. Not sure why I didn't add this sooner, it's vital.

Other than that, I updated some functions, created some new ones to help streamline things and make objects behave the same for players and enemies, stuff like that.

The coming week:
Moar art! I've got a big list of sprites to create for the level tileset and characters who'll appear in it, I might have more features to add now that I've whet my whistle on the battle item changes, other than that it's gonna be sprite art, girl design and scene design, with some scripting for the 5 maps made so far.

Thanks,
Oko

Monday, 5 November 2018

Starknave v1.0.3


Performance fixes and changes, not a content build, just a final tutorial/demo version that should run for everybody now.

Features:
- Performance fixes; runs better than ever, should be no more lag on lower end hardware.
- Netbook mode: Turn off all extraneous effects, gets my netbook from 45fps to 60, constant.
- Difficulty settings; Normal, Easy, Very Easy
- Battle tweaks;
         Heavy attacks give more worthwhile damage increase over Light,
         Health regen increased
         Unspent moves at the end of turn converted to health regen
- Level select screen with level unlock and save features.
- Game Over screen just for fun.
- New, better Hentai UI (with option to switch back if you prefer the old one)
- Weapon stats are clearer now; instead of Damage shown as "2[~1]" (2, give or take 1), now shows "1-3".
- Choice-safe Fast Forward dialogue; hold [Q] to skip text without risking making choices
- Fixes and changes to make system modular for more levels, last of the demo jury rigging removed.

Windows
https://mega.nz/#!H6BChSrK!oxf-aNXQh9rRsSv_KZaB51JO6C9B-UcDFecXnf95k1o

Mac
https://mega.nz/#!WuJyQQZA!z8xw6_UJsTcng5rD1EFp4ucyX2YWPYo1-dXl8xxIM70

60FPS ON MY NETBOOK WITH THIS ONE WEIRD TRICK

Hey,

So this week I got a couple of more reports of bad performance and issues, so I dedicated some time to that and decisively located and fixed the issue.
The game now flies on my Atom x7 netbook, a pretty solid 60FPS, playing through the whole thing multiple times in a single sitting without issue.
Fucken fixed, boys. I'm really glad.

On the one hand I didn't want to give too much time to this, because trying to fix performance on RPGMaker MV felt like waging a land war in Asia.
On the other hand, literally what is the point in making a game on a tricked-out Google Chrome meme engine if it won't even let me run hard porn on a smart fridge?

You ever think of a joke and you know it's not that good but you've started making it and well I guess I'm posting it

So the good news is that it was because of a couple of 3rd party plugins; one for highlighting text during choices, which I've now replaced with a simpler alternative, and one for ensuring assets are loaded before update functions are resumed. Googling the latter, it turns out people have never-ending trouble with it producing similar results wherever its used, but I won't link to it because I was using an out of date version of the plugin and the creator seems like a super sweet guy who's doing everything he can to push fixes to people, and guys like that make the internet go round.

I'm not sure I fully understand why those two were tanking performance, I'm just glad it wasn't my own js work that fucked everything. That feels nice.

So between this and some other issues being brought to my attention that I'd since fixed, I figured it best to get a 1.0.3 build out with the fixes.
It's a better experience overall and should solve any remaining problems.

For those who've played before, this isn't a content build, sadly, it's just about getting a better, newer build out there working for me while I make new stuff.

Story progress for the next level is going pretty well, not as fast as I'd like but I've been busy. It's getting there.
Not much more progress on the OST this week, it's on the back burner until later.

That's it from me, I spent the whole weekend getting the systems ironed out for release, so I'm gonna post 1.0.3, then have a nice bath and get some sleep.

Thanks,
Oko